Sunday, November 21, 2010

Precious Daddy Memory

Tonight I made a precious memory with my dad. When I got in from church he had been in the kitchen getting the deer meat cut up that Chandler had killed.  He was smiling as he does a lot these days and said, "Hey baby, how was church." Jenni finished cooking supper and we sat down to eat....Dad at the head of the table. After supper he and I went back to work on getting the deer meat bagged and labeled.  We laughed and just enjoyed each others company.  Funny thing about daddy, I never have to have something to say, he does the talking. I never have to worry how my hair looks, how I smell or even if my make-up is on.  He is daddy - the firm hand, the larger than life man whom I have the privilege of calling, "Daddy"

I look back growing up and always remember the very firm hand my dad had.  He spanked us very hard and sometimes just because he THOUGHT we had done something.  He always had us in church - even if he was working. He never allowed us to make excuses for our actions. He loved to tickle me when I hated it - he loves to be the grandpa to my children....and he takes great pride in being MY daddy.

One of the greatest memories I have of him is that no matter what part of my life I was in - He was the same then as he is now - hard-headed, larger than life, full of wisdom, giving me accountability, loving, funny, respectful, strong willed, firm and the one who's opinion I always knew before I even asked.  He never pulled a punch when he needed to give me advice. He would even apologize after he over-reacted on something.  And as his daughter, I forgave him....because he is my daddy.

I admire the man he is.  There is not one part of my life he hasn't been involved in.  I think that is because of the respect and love I have for him. I fear him, not in a physical sense - but in a respectful loving sense.  Even when my daddy angered me beyond words, and he was totally wrong in my opinion - I feared the disappointment I would bring him.  I caused him much worry when I became pregnant at 17.  He was so hurt by me. My choices caused him much grief.  My lack of respect for the teachings he tried to give me to stay sexually pure hurt him more than I could have ever imagined but, because I kept my respect and humility he was there for me.

I know how much he loves my mama....how he loves to buy her new things for special occasions. I love how he kisses her on the cheek and tells her how beautiful she is.  I found a man who does that for me....but, my daddy taught me how important that is!!

I love him and HIS HANDS. He is a great fortress in my eyes - one I try to strive to be more like. I keep the firm hand he raised me with. I keep the teaching and respect at the forefront of my thoughts.  I pray that each of my children look back and have the same kind of love for Dewayne that I have for my daddy.

Blessing: Having an imperfect, all loving, all knowing daddy!!

Quote:  The song:   Daddy's Hands by Holly Dunn
I remember Daddy´s hands, folded silently in prayer.
And reaching out to hold me, when I had a nightmare.
You could read quite a story, in the callouses and lines.
Years of work and worry had left their mark behind.
I remember Daddy´s hands, how they held my Mama tight,
And patted my back, for something done right.
There are things that I´ve forgotten, that I loved about the man,
But I´ll always remember the love in Daddy´s hands.

Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin´.
Daddy´s hands, were hard as steel when I´d done wrong.
Daddy´s hands, weren´t always gentle
But I´ve come to understand.
There was always love in Daddy´s hands.

I remember Daddy´s hands, working 'til they bled.
Sacrificed unselfishly, just to keep us all fed.
If I could do things over, I´d live my life again.
And never take for granted the love in Daddy´s hands.

Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin´.
Daddy´s hands, were hard as steel when I´d done wrong.
Daddy´s hands, weren´t always gentle
But I´ve come to understand.
There was always love in Daddy´s hands.

Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin´.
Daddy´s hands, were hard as steel when I´d done wrong.
Daddy´s hands, weren´t always gentle
But I´ve come to understand.
There was always love .....
In Daddy´s hands.

No comments: