Friday, November 26, 2010

Making a Memory with My Momma

I have always called her momma (a.k.a. mama or Mother). I don’t think mommy was ever in my vocabulary.  This woman that I speak of is the earthly woman who I have the privilege of calling momma. She is a rock – one who often times has little to say.  I assume that is partly because her husband, my daddy, always has plenty to say!
She and I spent this morning together, the day after Thanksgiving, a.k.a. BLACK FRIDAY…shopping…talking…enjoying each other’s company.  We were up at 3:00 a.m. getting ready to find the deals, which we found by the way!!  We don’t always have much to say – she is very reserved in her ‘talking’. We had a great time none the less. We found some awesome deals and were able to check several items off of the ‘list’! YAY! The Hardees biscuit was wonderful!! Shopping with momma is pure therapy. It is up lifting and fun!!  She and I are certainly deal hunters…heck, we bought those fancy tall $15 candles today for $1.20!!! Yes, that is right, she taught me well how to shop!!
Now that I will soon be 30 and the youngest of my sisters is in her early 20’s, my momma is also called Nana. She loves to be a Nana.  She became a Nana at a very young age because of my teenage pregnancy. I was so ashamed the day I woke up and she was sitting on the edge of my bed her face full of sadness and disappointment. I knew that she knew – and all she could do was tell me how she would be there for me and that she loved me no matter what. We cried and hugged and cried some more – a bittersweet moment really.  She was there for me my whole pregnancy. She took me to all of my appointments, held my hand when I was crying during labor and we cried some more the moment we saw my son Chandler born.  I knew I had let her down in many ways but, she loved me anyway. She helped me through depression during and after my pregnancy. She rocked my son to sleep for me when I couldn’t. She nursed me back to health. She never questioned me during this time – just gave me space and love – exactly what I needed.  Her love and actions have molded me into who I am today.
I named my son Chandler Lee Hatch to give him my daddy’s initials and chose Chandler because of its meaning – candle maker.  See, neither he nor I knew it, but his birth helped bring our family back together. He molded us all back into one piece…each one of us (my parents, sisters and myself) in a different way. My momma is so proud to be my son’s Nana. She would give him the moon if he wanted it!
Momma/Nana is the best cooker my family and I know! She loves to cook for us, which is how she shows love. She likes to share new recipes and likes to let us taste them out!! One of my greatest memories with her, aside from the birth of my son, is cooking divinity with her just 2 years ago. It was so wonderful to talk, laugh at our ‘flat’ divinity and to have that memory and moment in time!! It was a blessing….truly heartwarming!!  She treats all of our home, family and children (the blended family that we are) with dignity and respect.
Today I look at momma – as pretty as ever – strong, successful and full of grace.  There are times when she will tell you exactly what she is thinking however, she never raises her voice, she keeps most of her thoughts to herself and she loves the thought of becoming a Nana once again to her baby girl, my youngest sister, Sarah’s son Aaron. Momma is someone who will be there in any time – good or bad – happy or sad. She is a fixer of broken hearts, a fixer of bumps and bruises and most of all comes running when we need her!! I love her.
Blessing of Momma: Momma’s love
Quote:  "The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness." -- Honore' de Balzac
"An ounce of mother is worth a ton of priest."
-- Spanish proverb
Uncles and aunts, and cousins, are all very well, and fathers and mothers are not to be despised; but a grandmother, at holiday time, is worth them all. ~Fanny Fern
“Grandma, Because Of You, I Have Memories To Last A Lifetime"
~Author Unknown

No comments: