Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Best Friend

My words for today are much different than yesterday!

When I was in the 6th grade, my best friend Melissa Christian moved away. Her dad went into the ministry to work for God. She and her family were my 2nd family. I loved them as much as I loved my own family. We spent every weekend together….and I especially loved going to her house – she had cable!!! In her first house, her room had2 twin beds in it - it was a town home with an upstairs. It was so neat!! And she didn’t have to share her room with anyone. At her second house, there was a pool table – and boy, did I think I loved to play pool!! I can still remember laying in the bed until wee hours in the morning talking about nothing really – just talking and laughing and talking and laughing. When I found out she was moving I dreaded that and time seemed to speed up. She and I sang solos together in church, we even fought over who got to sing the ‘prettiest’ part of the song! We competed for parts in the Christmas play and ALWAYS had something cooked up. My parents would even let me go to the skating rink with them…and I loved that!! But, the day finally came, and I was a crying mess. We had a ‘going away’ party at church – and I wanted so much to sing that night. To sing the song, “Perfect Father” by Sandi Patty and “Pray for Me” by Michael W Smith. We sang those songs together all the time…but, that night all I could do was cry. I knew I would miss her more than I had ever missed anything in my life. After she left, Sunday afternoon’s were never the same – and I hated that so much. My dad let me spends summers and some of my winter vacations with her and her family. It was so nice – in those moments, it was about best friends, catching up and most of all time together. Even now we are friends - she attended my wedding and I attended hers.  She has met all of my children and we talk via computer now.  Back then, Facebook was unheard of - haha!


My son just lost his best friend Yancey this past week because he too had to move. Those 2 boys played together 5 out of 7 days a week. Almost every afternoon – and every weekend Chandler was at home – Yancey was our neighbor. They played video games together, they learned ‘bike tricks’ together, jumped ramps together, shot birds together, had spend the night parties, hit golf balls together, shot fireworks together, built fires & forts together, helped each other in school. I mean those 2 boys were inseparable. Then, Yancey’s parents decided to move back to Louisiana. Kristie, Yancey’s mom broke the news to Chandler first – and he really didn’t believe her. That night he and I talked about it – and I told him it was ok to feel sad. Well, last Saturday Yancey moved – Chandler spent the whole last week and weekend with Yancey. He came home to get only the things he had forgotten. He passed up hunting so he could get a few more hours with Yancey. Chandler came to the house with Yancey and his family on moving day – the look of dread and sadness in his eyes. We all exchanged hugs, Kristie & I cried like babies of course…this is Chandler 2nd major loss in 2 ½ years………so, he too shed many tears – but, not in front of Yancey!! After they left, Chandler came into my bathroom where I was getting ready for the baby shower, his eyes full of redness and he was wiping tears. I grabbed him and held him and told him it was ok to be sad. At that moment, he began to weep - he literally cried a river. My heart bled for him because I know that kind of loss in a friend. It took me, Nana & Grandpa to get him calmed down and out of the house for a little while. I went home yesterday and he was sitting on the swing, with a look of sadness on his face. I walked over to the swing, sat down with him and just started talking – he really liked that. I pray that he will again find a friend like that – and that his new friend will love him like a brother and love Jesus! He told me last night that he tried to call Yancey but he didn’t answer so, he would try again today.  I can't wait for the summer to get here so the boys can spend some time together...it will be an awesome experience for me as a mother and for Chandler as a young boy!! 

Blessing of the day: Having a friend that lasts a lifetime.

Quote: "A memory lasts forever and never does die. True friends stay together and never say goodbye."
·          
·         Most people walk in and out of your life, but only friends leave footprints in your heart.
·         Best friends are the siblings God forgot to give us.
Chandler & Yancey at Haley's bowling party for her 10th birthday....

 Yancey in the middle...Chandler on the end...at the house - September 2010

No comments: